Sunday 4 January 2009

In the middle

I've had a pleasant day today; walking, listening to music and reading. DC was away visiting his dad so I was in my own company which is fine. He returned this evening and it is nice to have him back again.

Whilst out for a walk a thought about how we live in the mid-ground returned to me; we don't get to the detail of the scene before us and the distance is always over there. My experience is not directly at the very fine detail of say the cellular let alone atomic or subatomic particle level nor in the hugeness of the environment at large. I am in the middle seemingly separate but connected. This sort of points to an intellectual understanding of separation and oneness for me. Watching a program on TV about swarms this evening I recalled this thought about the mid-ground. The swarms appear to have a life of their own and our reaction to them is as entity not to the individuals of the swarm. Each creature in the swarm is just trying to get long of course.

I had a pleasant day mostly in the most obvious way on my own yet totally involved in activities connected with others. Reflecting on this I think part of my enjoyment came from a feeling of balance between separation and connection.

Buddhism points to the middle way and other traditions place in one way or an other humans between earth and the heavens. The whole notion I have of balance between separation and connection comes from my consideration of Eastern thought. I was indeed most fortunate to meet with Buddhism.

No comments:

Post a Comment