Saturday 14 March 2009

Support

Returning to the koan which inspired the title of this blog (Kyogen's "Man up in a Tree", case 5 Mumonkan) the question how to respond has of course been right in front of me this past few weeks. And starting this post about support, I recalled that picture of a tree providing support as I read the 'Holding no bough' title across the top of the page. And I recall my first post implying that I had realised that letting go was needed because one falls through life whether actively or passively, so it's no use just clinging on choosing not to chose. But I can't of course just let go, no. I am after all interdependent, all forms are empty, emptiness is form. I need support and I need to support. Giving and receiving in symbiosis such that it's all giving and all receiving. The response to life's koan being held at least in part by the supports.

The canvas of life is vast. The play of experience across the clear sky of the mind rich and complex. Even if I was able to see my true nature as clear as those great masters, would I not still need to engage with others and in the realm of form enjoy the interplay of the symbiosis of support?

There is a nice web of support of which I am part. Of course this brings up all sorts of questions about attachment but that's for an other day; to focus there at this point would be to miss the point. A larger frame than is to hand just now would be needed to hold all those issues.

It's good to be part of it.

2 comments:

  1. I came across your site via Ten Zen.

    Please find a reference which is very much about the paradoxical state of no-mind which informs the Zen "world"-view.

    http://global.adidam.org/books/ancient-teachings.html

    Plus a reference re the stages of life.
    Susan is very much stuck in stage 3.

    Zen at its best is very much about stage 6.

    http://aboutadidam.net/growth/seven_stages.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we must all find what we personaly feel we are comfortable with. We must deal with our existential issues, our small self, our ego. We should try to integrate at this level and beyond. A synthesis of self and Self.
    There is no enlightenment outside of daily life.

    ReplyDelete