Tuesday 9 December 2008

Right effort

I find that it is not always easy to see right effort when in the midst of a busy day. I guess I just don't have the karma (yet?). I try to remember and practice more or less as indicated by the following lines:

Mindful, humble, compassionate;
Open heart, open mind;
To express like and dislike is to tear heaven and earth apart;
What is it that the universe is asking to be done (not what does my ego want);
Am I following the precepts?
Watch those bodily cues - is that anger coming on?;
Where is my attention?

There is no enlightenment outside of daily life so I juggle and try to balance, work, home, Buddhist study, seated meditation, Tai Chi, keeping fit, friends, having fun, etc. It's all practice.

Juggling masculinities is part of all that; small gay guy always a bit different, practicing Buddhism working in a traditionally macho industry. (Actually, am I practicing Buddhism?) Of course it's probably not nearly as macho as I fear. I think I probably carry too much armour; most people I've worked with over the years are fine and we get on well. There is a lesson there. Dropping the armour needs wisdom, non-attachment, right effort.

All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment