Sunday 14 July 2024

Goodbye 'not-slippers'


I'm now the owner of a pair of 'those shoes with the holes in them' as I used to say. Crocs that is. I have these not to go outside in but as a pair of 'not slippers'. My other 'not slippers' are a very well worn pair of Converse trainers which I bought in about 2004 or 2005. Realising that I couldn't for much longer ignore the split soles I'd looked at the possibility of getting actual slippers. But in the end I knew I'd not feel comfortable in them- they're so... So anyway, I saw the Crocs and actually they seemed a possibility.




Those Converse have been my indoor shoes - 'not slippers' for about 14 years. This included my time living in community in the Findhorn Foundation's Cluny. I took the laces out and knotted a piece of string to make them 'work' in a relaxed way. They became (and this is the 1st time I've said it) 'not slip-ons'. Slip-on shoes being beyond the pale. I replaced the string a couple of times, once I recall from Cluny maintenance shed. Those trainers are soaked in history. Before they became 'not-slippers' I wore then in both Istanbul and Egypt. But I think my time in Cluny is the strongest memory attached to them.

DC said they evoke van Gogh's peasant shoes. They do, they're wonderfully lived in.

Thank you shoes- you've served me very well and I'm sad to let you go but I know I've worn out your shoe-ness and must let you go.


No comments:

Post a Comment