Friday 22 February 2013

Feeding Each Other

DC and I have had a lovely sociable time of late with friends coming round for dinner; I've done some lovely meals if I do say so my self! I am due to return to Scotland for an unspecified time and I'll miss being here with DC. Last night with friends we were talking about the terrible direction the ConDem coalition government have taken and the dreadful effects of thirty odd years of neoliberalism. It's depressing and frightening; we are being driven back to the way things were (in terms of social care) before WWII. And I am convinced that this and NOT any so called balancing of the budget is the motive of this (Tory for that is what it is) government. We all agreed that everywhere is fear and that seems to be what the government want. I commented that there is a general agreement in 'spiritual' traditions that an axis exists with love at one end and fear at the other. To generate conditions which fuel fear is to generate conditions which reduce love and that is evil. I don't want to start listing the catalogue of crazy and harmful policies this government have pursued. It was bad enough watching Tony Blair and New Labour continue down the neoliberal path but this head long smash and grab charge is something else! At a time when the world so needs to look towards collective care we are being driven in the opposite direction. The majority of people are finding it harder to feed (in the broadest terms) themselves let alone feed others and that is a recipe for disaster. We have to move in the direction of love not competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment